Saturday, 20 February 2016

Clara Time Canvas

My makes tend to be very colourful, either bright or pastel.  I wanted to try something outside my comfort zone with this and took my colour scheme from a metal clock face I found in my stash.

I built up texture with torn corrugated card, texture paste stencilling, cut up wooden stirrers and wooden cogs.  I sealed it all with gesso.

Now for the brave bit.  I covered the who thing in black emulsion.  Then I picked out all the raised areas in gold acrylic paint.  I cut up small strips of patterned paper, crinkled and distressed them, edged them in gold and used them liven up the flat area.

I stamped Time twice on black card, heat embossing alternate letters so I could cut them out individually.  I heat embossed Clara and the wings on kraft card, coloured them in a mostly neutral pallet with alcohol markers and cut them out; removing the umbrella.

I adhered Clara with wings, Time and the clock face using glossy accents and foam tape.  I coated her wings and outfit in a wink of stella

  • Visible Image Clara stamp
  • Visible Image Time After Time stamp set
  • Cogs stencil 
  • Metal clock face 
  • 7x5" canvas board 
  • Gesso 
  • Texture paste 
  • Wooden cogs 
  • Wooden stirrer 
  • Corrugated card 
  • Emulsion (DIY tester pot) black 
  • Wink of Stella

Thursday, 18 February 2016

Colours of the Wind Canvas

I painted gessoed canvas with blue emulsion and ensured it was dry before coating in crackle glaze then almond emulsion.  I dried rapidly with heat gun to get large cracks.

I stamped a trio of leaves, sentiment and a background accent of winter tree direct to canvas then random stencilling of first grey ink then clear embossing.

Living with it for a while it felt too flat; so I restamped the leaves and The Colours of the Wind in autumn colours on kraft card. I crinkled and distressed them then adhered them over the original stamping, allowing edges to curl up for dimension and texture. It felt top heavy so I stamped the dragonfly twice on kraft and layered them up.

Finishing touches were a Wink of Stella on dragonfly and a scattering of candi minis.

Monday, 15 February 2016

Shay Life Is What You Make It

After keying the canvas with gesso I coated it in Almond emulsion. Once dry I applied first crackle glaze then Powder Purple emulsion and left this to dry.

I stamped Shay on the canvas in black, then repeat stamped the large butterfly in grey and bronte script in mauve. I coloured her with distress markers, then stencilled clear embossing paste in areas for texture.

I stamped Life is what you make it, Shay's outfit and the butterflies on patterned paper. I tore around sentiment and adhered in flat along with some random torn paper strips. I built up her skirt in layers and used 3D pads to add depth. I also 3D mounted the butterflies over the large butterflies to create extra shadow and dimension.

I completed the piece by adding a wink of stella to the butterflies and dress then a scattering of candi minis.

Edgar Life Is A Journey Card

I stamped cogs along top and bottom of a landscape kraft card base in sand ink.

I trimmed pattern paper to fit card width and about 1/2" less depth then distressed the edges.  I stamped Life Is A Journey, then built up the background stamping cogs in a diagonal pattern. Panel is 3D mounted on the Base.

Edgar was stamped on white card and coloured with pencils. I partially cut him out then mounted him to the panel flat on one side and 3D on the other.

  • Visible Image This Is Me stamp set
  • Visible Image Edgar stamp
  • Miscellaneous cog stamps
  • My Mind's Eye Follow Your Heart paper pad
  • Memento inks
  • Caran D'ache Aquarelle pencils

Sunday, 14 February 2016

Audrey Create Your Imagination Canvas

Hello all. Welcome to my very first blog post.

After prepping the canvas with gesso I coated it in red emultion and dried it with my heat tool. I then coated it in crackle glaze then whilst still wet a coat of almond emultion. I was a little too impatient and some of the red was still wet hence the pinky top tone, I just went with it. I used my heat gun again because I wanted large cracks.

I built up the background texture with the feather and bronte stamps in muted tones. I then stamped Audrey and Create Your Imagination in black. I coloured her with distress markers.

For extra background texture I applied clear embossing paste using the Peacock mask. Whilst it dried I stamped and cut out Audreys outfit building up layers for extra dimension on her skirt and added a Wink of Stella.

I felt the lower right corner needed something so I sketched out some bags on matching papers and layered them together.  A few Candi minis completed the look.